It is inevitable that concrete will soon develop chips and small cracks. Though these minor problems do not post any structural threats, it would be wise to address cracks as soon as possible through a concrete repair. Whenever chips or small cracks appear, it is certain that wear and tear would follow. Follow these instructions to repair small concrete cracks that are 1/4 to 1/2 inch wide:
Time Required: One to two hours
Clean the crack using a wire brush. Remove loose debris and vacuum the crack. In cases where dirt, oil or grease is near or remains in the crack, remove it by a thorough cleaning.
- Undercut the edges of the crack by using a large hammer and a cold chisel. This process will keep the patch in place.
- Always use eye protection.
- Coat the surface of the crack with concrete bonding adhesive using a small paint brush. Let the adhesive sit and dry completely.
- Make a mix using enough sand mix and water as per instructions found on the bag. You can find sand mix sold in home stores. It is a variety of dried concrete products.
- Fill the cracks completely with the mix using a trowel and smooth and level the surface.
- Leave the patch undisturbed to allow it to cure as per the bag’s instructions.
- Materials Needed:
Wire brush and paint brush
Concrete bonding adhesive